Self -harm and the use of ligatures is an increasing trend, this is not only dangerous for the individuals involved but traumatic and concerning for those managing these situations.
Self-harm, including ligatures has been an increasingly concerning trend in the UK. Samaritans UK offer the following facts: –
- There were 5,691 suicides in England and Wales in 2019, that is 321 more compared to the year before.
- The rate for females under 25 has increased by 93.8% since 2012, to its highest level in 2019.
Many suicides, especially those involving ligatures, are mistakes and death was not the intention. Individuals are not fully aware of the dangers of ligatures, and sadly help can come too late. These facts are concerning for both the public and those of us who care for vulnerable individuals. The lack of knowledge, understanding and awareness of ligatures and self-harm has led us to create a comprehensive package covering the area of ligatures.
The course aims to help you save lives by:-
- Identifying triggers and ligature points
- Teaching you how to remove a ligature when suspended or non-suspended
- Teaching you what to do ‘post ligature’
- Showing you how to use various ligature tools for different materials
An outline of the course
- Explanation of the different types of ligatures and what can be used as a ligature
- Assistance with policy creation around the use and removal of ligatures
- Explanation and demonstration of the various ligature tools
- Incident form completion, scene preservation and ‘Post incident’ procedures